Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Vision from a high fashion model


Kim Luret is currently an American living in Paris, an author, speaker, coach and owner of her own Paris-based modeling agency. She was an international high fashion model for over 12 years on the runways of Paris, New York, Milan, Tokyo and elsewhere. Kim worked personally with icons of the fashion design world including Calvin Klein, Yves Saint Laurent, Giorgio Armani, Karl Lagerfeld, Gianni Versace. 

Helping the latest generation of aspiring models reach their highest potential has been a long time focus and driving passion for Kim. You can read her latest project, Kim Luret's Modeling Success Series, on Amazon Kindle.

Kim graciously spoke with Cliff by phone recently on the topics of vision and overcoming fear. Her story will be a case study in my upcoming book, Become a Change Agent: Drive the Positive Change You want for Yourself and the World! Part Two: Vision.

Cliff Collard – You described discovering your desire to become a model as if the desire “hit you between the eyes”. Could you elaborate?

Kim Luret – It was more like being hit by a mallet. I was 15 years old. When the desire hit me, I just knew it even though I had never thought about it before. This was a mindful revelation. I didn’t know anyone else with such a desire and it certainly was not mainstream at the time. It came out of left field. Prior to that, I said “Veterinarian” any time someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.

CC – Fear is such a powerful de-motivator. Do you have specific advice for young people to overcome fear?

KL - Everyone faces fear. It is up to each individual to make peace with it and accept it. Fear and jitters are the same thing. You need to put it behind you and remember that everyone is afraid or nervous. Spirit never speaks to us through fear. What can change is how we respond to it. It is OK to be scarred but you must act anyway. You will find that the sky didn’t fall. Overcoming fear increases your self-esteem.

CC – Anything specific for peer pressure or ridicule?

Kim – Remember that if people try to put you down, the real thing they are trying to do is tear you down to thier level. In most cases, if you remember that they can’t do it, peer pressure gets quickly put into perspective. People think mostly about themselves, they typically could care less about you.

CC – How about fear of the unknown?

KL – Accept the fact that there will always be the unknown. It is ok to have a problem. It is not OK to let the problem have you. Faith in God is an important key.

CC – Could you describe how you tried to kill your dream of becoming a model?

KL – Emmitt Fox said, “Take the unknown to the extreme, what if the world ends? Well, you won’t be around to care now will you?”

I was extremely self-conscious about my looks. “I’m not attractive. My braces are ugly, I’m too tall. My hair is frizzy.” I tried to ignore it. I only told 5 people and only my friend Marian was supportive.  Most responded with “Are you kidding? “So I drifted to college with no plans other than a degree in psychology and nothing I did caused me to get the “passion” bug. I let 4-5 years pass and time suppressed my interest in modeling.

CC – In the end, what (in addition to the Modeling School Director’s encouragement) triggered your inner voice?

KL – I really have no idea what the trigger was. I heard a voice, “Only you can make your dreams come true. Fan the fire of your dream. Own it. Never doubt it!” This Voice came out of nowhere and was clearly not my own, nor did it sound like anyone familiar to me. This happened as my roommate was dialing the number to set up her own interview for a modeling school. That voice made it imperative that I go to the interview as well. I then met the Director and her words of confidence made me understand the voice must be heeded.

CC – How do you encourage others, particularly strangers?

KL – I tell them you have to “Bring It” constantly. People will believe about you what you believe in yourself.  It is important to have a clear, strong self-image. This is the alpha and omega of making peace with and getting along with yourself.

CC – any final thoughts?

KL – Rumi said, “The one important thing in this life is your reason. If you accomplish 100 other things in this lifetime, they are only of peripheral importance”

CC – Thanks Kim! I think your experience will provide a valuable model (pun intended) for others.

KL - Thank you for your time and the opportunity to share thoughts and ideas with you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment